Minecraft Education, Learning from one Another...

We have a lot of students at Rāwhiti School that love Minecraft.  This term I've organised a few Minecraft Crafting sessions for a variety of students across the school.  We have some groups working on designing their own dream 'whare' (house).  Another group working on 'Bridges over Minecraft Village.'

Today we had some 'newbie' students play Minecraft for the first time.

I could have just taken this group and they all used the Minecraft Tutorial World.  I really wanted to crate an experience for these 'new' student that would be more personal.  I also wanted the more experience Minecrafters to use their knowledge and experience of Minecraft to feel empowered.  Students learning form one another is more powerful that from me!

Often we use Tuakana/teina where older students (tuakana) teachers a younger student (teina).  The students were Year 2 & 3's.  In this case I used a teina teaches teina approach.  Prior to the session I buddied up students with a student that was 'new' to Minecraft.  We discussed what you would want to 'teach' or get this student to 'learn' about Minecraft.  They came up with a list of key things:





This was the first time I had ever done this with Minecraft and would definitely do this again.  The session ran for 50 minutes.  I observed genuine interested from everyone and engagement.  The more experience crafters had never done anything like this before.  Some were using the end of a pencil to show their buddy how to navigate the Minecraft interface, some were standing back amazed because for 'first' timers they were building some impressive wee houses and some were giving encouragement and prompting when needed to help their buddy.

To end this session I flew around (you can only say that with Minecraft) and took a snippet of footage to share with tamariki.  This provided a prompt for beginners to reflect on their experience and for the more experience crafters to give positive feedback of what they saw.


I went around and used Clips to capture this moment and had Jess Bond, from Core observing the students from Rāwhiti School in action.


No comments:

Post a Comment